Tuesday 14 August 2007

California Dreamin'

Tonight is our last night in California. Here's what we've been up to for the last few days:

We went to Paramount's Great America Park. We rode the rides, took photos with the characters,

played in the Great America Waterpark, and caught some rays.

Then we headed out to Santa Cruz, the birth place of two of Ken's bikes. It took some tracking skills and commitment to find the factory - you can only access the street the factory is on through a parking lot.

Santa Cruz skateboard, surf board, and bike factory.

We passed this fabric store a couple of times as we circled around looking for the bike factory. The store window display reminds me of my daughers' fashion plates that create outfits from scraps of fabrics. This was the best fabric store EVER and it has a website, which I'll be adding to my sidebar shortly.
'
We went to the beach in the evening which reminded me of this great shadow on the beach picture idea I've seen a few places now. From left to right it's Steven, Chloe, Me, Ken, Jaclyn, and Carmen.

All the kids loved the ocean. Chloe was so pleased to find a piece of a shell.


Carmen is quite sure that as the waves came in that she was sliding backwards in the sand. We can't convince her that it was a cool sensation, but that in fact she was remaining still with just the water moving around her.

Steven

Jaclyn was very daring with the waves. I really thought one would knock her down the way she was playing deeper and deeper in the surf, but I'm glad to have been wrong.

The kids did not want to leave the beach, but we hadn't eaten anything in over 6 hours, and finally we dragged them away for a late dinner.

Today we drove through one of the (didn't know there were several before this trip) Redwood Forests. The family ahead of us were in a minivan, and they were very impressed we could squeeze through the tree in our Avalanche.


And look at what Carmen found on the floor of the Redwood Forest: shamrocks!

Well it's late and it's time I do some final California dreamin'.

Tomorrow it's Portland and Cousins! Cousins! Cousins!


Which reminds me, tonight Ken was trying to get the kids to name their favorite part of the trip so far and Carmen and Chloe both said they were sure in advance that visiting cousins would be the best part of our trip.

13 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I love the photo of the shadows, Barb! And the one of Jaclyn is so cute...they're all good. Have a good time with "the best part of your trip."

Kelly said...

Cousins is a great best part, but you guys have been to some awesome locations! It looks like a lot of fun.

SHERI said...

Wow- I have been catching up on your blog- sounds like you are having a fabulous time! What a fun trip

Marie said...

I love all the beach pictures. The shadow picture was a fun idea. I've never seen that before.

That does look like a fun fabric store. I love to look at fabric. Why can't I learn to love sewing?

Ortensia Norton said...

Oh, the best fabric store ever? Awesome. The ocean looked fabulous. How fun! You forgot to mention where you ate and how good it was. (or not)

Lucy said...

What a trip! I had no idea you and Kelly were related. I've read her blog before and seen her adorable red heads. She's a funny writer. It's fun to make the connection.

Have fun with the cousins!

Anonymous said...

Oh, dear! I have no idea what we will do with you that will even compare to all the fun you've been having in California, but we're excited for you to get here and hope it will be all the cousins think it will be!

Sandi said...

Love the shadow picture. I'm going to do that.

Elizabeth said...

What great photos. Your making me miss California. Have fun with the cousins!

Jill said...

Your trip has been so fabulous to read about, it look so fun.

I adore the shadow family picture!

Michelle Alley said...

You've got to frame that shadow picture, what a cute idea. So glad Cali is treating you well and can't wait to hear more!

jenny said...

I'm so glad you posted along the way. Your trip sounds amazing. And I LOVE that shadow photo of you guys. Very cool.

Price Cream Parlor said...

What a fantastic experience that you are having! I am loving the shadow photo at the beach and think that I might just have to add that idea to my Christmas card! I am loving the car through the tree! So awesome!
See you tomorrow!!!