Wednesday 29 August 2007


I just downed several hand fulls of chocolate chips. What's my problem? I'm stressed about back to school, and honestly, that surprises me.
.
Last spring (2006) Ken took a lay-off package which allowed him to take the whole summer off without even job hunting till fall came. As his last day of work approached he dubbed the coming months 'the summer of Ken'. Words he has lived to regret, no doubt, since I have used that phrase much more often than he has, but I understood what he was saying: he didn't want me to come up with ideas of how he could spend his time that summer. He had his own plans.
.
So this summer I've been teasing Ken that I've got 'the school year of Barb' ahead of me this year because our baby is entering first grade. As in don't ask me what I do all day while the kids are at school, you don't want to know.
.
Here's a little sample of how I've been planning on spending my personal time:
  • shopping
  • cleaning and organizing this house room by room
  • exercising
  • playing with my Cricut and my new cartridges I bought in Utah
  • reading
  • blogging
  • doing whatever I want whenever I want

You get the idea. But tonight all I can think about is packing lunches, making everyone practise piano, seminary starting this year, the extracurriculars my kids will sign up for, juggling school parent council and YW activities which are both on the same night, juggling cross country running and piano lessons which are after school on the same day. I have to stop there - typing it out is not helping.

If I told you my 6 year old is going to take one 45 minute ballet lesson per week this fall, and that I'm going to teach her piano myself would that sound like we're over scheduled?

Or if I told you that my 8 year old is going to begin horseback riding lessons once a week, and I'm going to teach her piano myself would that sound like we're over doing it? Oh yeah, she has her activity days girls group twice a month, too.

How about when I tell you that my 11 year old son will play hockey this year, which is mostly a once a week commitment, he has scouts once a week, and I'm going to teach him piano myself on our own schedule?

Now I'm outsourcing piano lessons for my 13 year old. Also, at her piano level, she takes a separate music history lesson once a week. Music twice a week and mutual are her only planned activities for the fall, but she's a joiner and there will be a plethora of before and after school meetings, practises, and rehearsals.

I need some more chocolate chips.

15 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

This post sums it all up, Barb! What great activities for your kids to be involved in. I like your plans for yourself, too.

Elizabeth said...

I let my daughter only do two activities outside of school. But when all your kids have a couple things it really adds up. I am glad you will be able to fill up your tank so you can get through those afternoons.

Ortensia Norton said...

You are stressing me out and making me want to have a 16 year gap!!!! All those things happen after your 'Day of Barb'. And maybe it's time to delegate the lunches. Oh my, I just realize that a little girl is taking ballet. Some one has had a change of heart now has he? :-)

Anonymous said...

Yes, I was just wondering about the ballet, myself! Hmm!

It really is overwhelming when you stare it all down like that. It's not that any one of your kids is overscheduled, but put it all together, and wow! I'm staring down our schedule and thinking okay, PQ should get a nap most days. Until we move, and I have to pick the girls up every day, and then if she doesn't start falling asleep in the car, we're dead meat. And other than Emerson's separate school, I only have 2 with activities.

One day at a time!

Jill said...

Hopefully the alone-time during the day will help balance out the running around and piano lessons the rest of the week. I am experiencing the craziness myself right now and I don't teach piano and only have 2 kids! I'm finding that getting up early helps a lot, as does writing it all on the calendar so we don't forget anything. You can do it!

How glorious to be faced with The School Year of Barb!

Ortensia Norton said...

Ok I am echoing Jill:
YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you don't want to don't but if you want to I have no doubt it can be done!

Price Cream Parlor said...

I hear you! I haven't eaten chocolate chips this morning - but I did have a Trader Joes Truffle! And, I am in denial as I am STILL sitting here at 10:54 in my pjs. Although I did get my house vacuumed!
It is overwhelming when you look at the school schedule. If you have more than one child - it is crazy! I am loving your theme for the school year and "don't even ask how I will fill my time" while all are in school! This year - I will have 3 1/2 hours everyday...alone. I, too, will be doing most on your list as well and bracing myself when that school bell rings and all the craziness is left for the remaining part of the day.
We can do it....can't we? Ah, I will still enjoy my last 5 days of summer!

jenny said...

I honor you for teaching your kids yourself their piano lessons. Unfortunately I can't play, but think it would be very hard to teach my own kids something (with them listening).

I love what lies ahead in your schedule and EVEN the chocolate chips :)

Marie said...

Chloe is in ballet? Oh, how the mighty have fallen!

That does indeed sound like a very booked up life you are about to lead. My goodness.

Mom and Dad couldn't believe the schedule you keep when they stayed with your kids a couple of months ago. They were shocked. I laughed at them.

Good luck!

Marie said...

I just saw the new book on your sidebar. I don't know how far you have gotten in it, but I read it because so many women I knew loved the book. The plot is so-so, not amazing, but I thought I'd warn you that there is some language in the book that I was uncomfortable with.

Mandy said...

now I need chocolate chips. I got a little anxious just reading this. I hope once school starts things will even out for you and you will get to do the things on your list that you want to. Good luck!

Sandi said...

When my children were all in school we had something every day after school that they needed to go to (including primary in the middle of the week). We lived in a small town and the bus driver knew all the places they needed to go for piano, dance, sports, primary, etc. I sent a note to school saying on Monday Brian has permission to ... Tori has permission to... Celia has permission to... and on Tuesday yada yada yada and on Wednesday blah, blah, blah etc. The Principal called me on the phone and told me what a bad mother I was to have my children so involved and that I needed to have them home with me more. I erased him from the blackboard of my heart and had a hand full of chocolate chips. You go girl.

Michelle Alley said...

Barb, can I have some chocolate chips too? I'm too tired from reading your post girl. I'm stressed about my girls and what extra activities I want them to take and they are only four! As for teaching piano yourself, I think it's wonderful. I know I can teache Cici, because she will listen to me, but when I've tried to teach Nini, it's all about "I can do it", well, no you can't! Anyway, it's so great that Jaclyn is doing so well at the piano. You must be so proud of her :) btw, I love love a good handful of chocolate chips too!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Barb. I started reading your page from your link on Kelly and Mandy's blogs. I finally figured out how to leave a comment and have my name come up as a link, so I thought I'd comment on how cute I think your blog is. I really liked that shadow on the beach photo you posted a few blogs back. I have a few pictures like that of my husband and his 2 little guys. Very neat. (I'm Kelly and Josh's cousin, by the way)

carlo said...

Wow!!!!!!!! Again, you are an inspiration...

Ellie is only in 5 morning preschool but I see the "schoolday of Carlo" as a wonderful opportunity next year. Our lists are similiar...