Tuesday 24 July 2007

She swims with the fishes

The best way I know to cool down in the summer heat is WATER!
On Monday it was 31 degrees Celsius, which is about 88 F. Jaclyn and Steven had to bear the heat on the golf course during their golf camp today and Chloe had a play date, which left just Carmen and I to find a way to cool down together. It seems like Carmen is craving one-on-one mom time these days, and what's great is that she's getting it!

So Carmen and I hit the old swimming hole that's about a 10 minute walk away from our house. Today Carmen was a crocodile.

She tried to catch some tadpoles, but that's tough to do with bare hands. We'll try again soon with a bucket and a net.

I am a much more outdoorsy person than I would be if I weren't a mother. If I weren't a mother I'd fight the heat in an air conditioned office and an air conditioned mall and an air conditioned movie theatre.
It is really a different feeling to swim in a creek with tadpoles bumping into your legs the whole time. Nothing like the chlorinated YMCA swim we all had later Monday evening.
~
I guess swimming with the fishes is better than sleeping with the fishes.

13 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Your spt's are always so cute. That is great you are getting good one on one time with Carmen. My L is craving it also but sadly with sick boy and sick husband it has been so hard to pull off.

Michelle Alley said...

Very cute post,and very brave to swim in a lake rather than a pool! Cute SPT -as always :-)

Price Cream Parlor said...

Oh so brave! I am not a lake swimmer. I love the lake and I will FLOAT - but I won't swim.I will in the ocean though - go figure!
Fun SPT - cute photo!

Mandy said...

I would love to be in the water right now but am a little weirded out by lakes. I don't like the idea of things swimming under and around me. I will float though.

jenny said...

I always enjoy your self portraits. They are always so photogenic! I couldn't agree more with swimming definitely the best solution for summertime. I am glad you converted the C' because I had no idea what temperature that would have been!

Ortensia Norton said...

Wow. I can't believe you have that so close. Milly would love that! Next time. That just looks so fun!

Amy said...

Darling post. Lake swimming creeps me out. And oceans. I'm all about the chlorine, I guess.

Tiffany said...

Just down the street...wonderful! What cute pictures. I have a sister-in-law from Alberta. I'm sure she is missing it!

I also enjoyed reading some of your other posts. I love the gift bag balloons--cute colors!

Jill said...

You're a good mom to take Carmen to the swimming hole. I don't know how well I'd do in such murky water conditions with tadpoles bumping in to me. It's nice to get cool though, but I'm such a wuss.

jenn said...

Cute photo Barb! I stumbled your way from Melanie's blog- I LOVE your banner! It is funny how many times Lethbridge has come up in my "conversations" the last few months- someday I will have to figure out if any of you know each other!! Fun to "meet" you! I wish you were coming to Utah too!

jenn said...

Did you know that your Harry Potter cover is totally different from mine? I just read the part on your cover yesterday- SO fun to see!

melanie said...

You are a wonderful mom! I hate swimming in water where 'things' join you. I am such a wimp. For some reason I think they are out to get me and I get the heeby jeebies. Love this SPT!

Anonymous said...

As a kid we always swam in the river at my grandparents' house (now my parents' house.) Now I can't really imagine doing it. A little too mysterious and murky. Carmen looks delighted to have some one on one with you.