Monday 18 June 2007

Subversive Sales / Who's side is she on, anyways?



This weekend Jaclyn sold her last box of chocolate covered almonds. Selling a case of chocolate covered almonds is a mandatory fundraiser for all of the junior high students who participate in school sports. She sold 2 boxes to a boy in her class before she brought the case home, and then just kept the case in her room and slowly, even patiently, waited for us to gradually buy her out.

Carmen and Chloe have been extra enthusiastic to pick up more chores and earn a toonie ( a Canadian $2 coin) which went straight to Jaclyn's collection envelope.

Steven's most recent purchases made it from under his bed to in his garbage, along with wrappers from other after bedtime snacks, before I got around to taking the picture.


Jaclyn bought a few for herself, but was far more disciplined than the rest of us.
All together we bought $46 of chocolate covered almonds from Jaclyn in two weeks. Next year I really must make her go knock on doors.

13 comments:

Marie said...

Ah-Ha! I have found the first positive thing about not living closer to your family! We'd be out $50 and I'd NEVER get back into my pre-baby clothes, becasue I have never been able to say no to chocolate covered almonds.

Barb said...

Marie: what a foolish comment. We are totally hitting you up next year.

Elizabeth said...

That is funny. I remember selling candy bars to my family. And buying way too many myself.

Anonymous said...

What a smart girl. Sit and wait. We'd have succumbed, too.

Price Cream Parlor said...

Love her strategy! We don't have the option of fund raising for our sports - they just require a check in the fall for a zillion dollars!
Looks like both of you won- the kiddos and you with extra chores! :-)

Mandy said...

That usually happened to our family, but with girl scout cookies. I still can't seem to avoid them.

Michelle Alley said...

Hilarious! Especially that you posted the empty boxes! Sounds like she knows more than you think about how to sell chocolate. On the other side, what's this madatory thing? I don't remember any of our fundraiser's having to be madatory.

Kelly said...

That is so funny. I remember personally funding a choir trip buying up all my own chocolate bars.

jenny said...

I really dislike those silly fundraisers, I swear growing up my mom ended up buying them anyway. Afterall, isn't it easier to just give them the money and not worry about it?

Funny story, thanks for the chuckle ")

Ortensia Norton said...

She's brilliant if you ask me. And her sisters will grow and realize what she did and harass her about it for the rest of her life, as we do a certain brother.

I hate fundraising.

Jill said...

She's a smart girl, that's so funny that she waited for you all to buy her out. I love the pictures of the wrappers in the trash cans.

Anonymous said...

Like Jill, I love all the pictures of the boxes in the trash. Fundraising induced serious panic attacks in me as a child. I really (even still) hate it. Maybe I need therapy on this issue, just thinking about it conjured up feelings of terror.

annalisa said...

This cracks me up. I can totally visualize this happening in my house.