Tuesday 24 April 2007

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle


Around here recycling is Steven's chore with one exception: I recycle the paper. There are a couple of reasons I've hung on to this job myself. First of all, the paper needs to be taken to the community bins more frequently than the rest of our recyclables. Secondly, I don't want the kids to see everything that hits the paper recycling. A heavy amount of paper comes home from school on a regular basis, and I'm just not going to save every math booklet, and I don't want to negotiate with the kids over what stays in the house and what goes to recycling. So secret paper recyling is my most frequent earth saving (and clutter saving) action.

Though I feel that commercial industry has the greatest impact on the health of the planet, I do want to do my part. My favorite verse that helps me avoid waste is:

Fix it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or do without!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do plenty of "secret" paper recycling for the same reasons. Good post!

Amy said...

I'm slowly learning the necessities of secret recycling. Love it! Great post.

Elizabeth said...

I love that little diddy. I haven't heard that in awile. I need to teach that to my littles.

jenny said...

Great saying! And catchy too.

donna said...

Recycle the paper :) way to go.

Angie said...

I too have to do the secret paper recycling. My kids freak if I throw their things out, so I do it when they don't know about it. Great little poem!

Jill said...

I tend to do a lot of secret recycling with my daughter's many, many drawings and school papers. I scan her really good pictures and save them if I think they're significant, but she's a prolific artist and some of it has got to go.

Ortensia Norton said...

I'm not really good at the 'do without'. (nor the fixing up)

annalisa said...

Alexis "rescues" many a thing from the recycling before it has a chance to go out. Where am I supposed to keep all those projects? My sister and I were talking about how our children would feel in twenty years when we hand them a bin of all their stuff. Will they be grateful or overwehelmed with the junk? It's better to sort for them and give them a small collection.

Unknown said...

i love it! "secret" paper recycling!! (guilty.)