Tuesday 10 April 2007

If you have no Easter bonnet, how can you put frills upon it?

Lelly, an Easter bonnet would have been a real time saver on Sunday morning - I wouldn't have spent so much time on my hair before church!

With no Easter bonnet I had to put my frills elsewhere, like my Allsorts banner:

My paper bunnies on the mantle:


Ceramic Easter eggs from Pier 1 Imports. I love how heavy they are, and how they feel in my hand:


We always dye Easter eggs, but this year I found these cute kits at the dollar store to paint the eggs:

Chloe arranged our finished eggs in bowls. She lined the bowls with yellow paper put through our paper shredder to make the bowls look like nests:

I loved the carrot motif for Easter this year. I got the idea for the cutlery and napkins from Family Fun:

And I copied Cindy's idea (cheesies in disposable cake decorating bags) for treats for my neices and nephew at Easter dinner part II on Monday - I figured they'd had enough sweets by the time the weekend was over:

We were out of town for Easter, so Carmen and Chloe set out this carrot arrow on my parent's side walk to let the Easter bunny know where to find them:

This seemed funny to me at midnight on Saturday night, but I kind of regret it now - munched up carrots and bunny droppings (raisins) were what was left behind on the side walk when my girls checked in the morning. They thought the bunny leavings were way too funny, and wouldn't stop talking about it:


Easter chocolate is a very important frill:

I have never before bought Peeps, but after reading so many of your blogs that raved about them, I gave them a try. My 3 year old nephew and 2 year old niece liked them - they were a garnish to Sunday dinner - but my own kids weren't crazy about them. They may have been a one time thing for us:

What we really look forward to when it comes to Easter food are my mom's Hot Cross Buns. My American girl friends, who went to BYU and married Canadians, and ended up in Canada, tell me that Hot Cross Buns are a Canadian thing. I actually think they're a British thing, and Canada has held on to many traditions from our British heritage. My mom makes her usual roll recipe and adds cinnamon and raisins. She slashes the cross symbol in the top of each roll, brushes the rolls with butter, sprinkles them heavily with sugar, and then bakes them so that the sugar is crusty and yummy on top:

19 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Your hair looks great, it was worth the time.
I love all your photos of decorations and the fun things you did. I love hot cross buns. I will have to try adding the cinnamon and raisins. Yum.

jenny said...

What a great photo of you! (wish I could say the same) I love all of the vivid colorful pictures of your Easter decorations.

Anonymous said...

Great picture of you! I couldn't figure out what was in the background, until I remembered you were at your parents'. Sweet pea trellis, of course.

I had no idea your mom made hot cross buns -- I guess we've never been together for Easter. And, I am dying over the rabbit droppings -- too funny.

Unknown said...

so glad you didn't have a bonnet, because i love all the other "frills" you've shared with us!!

how come never thought of substituting cheesies for reece's pieces or orange jelly beans? and the cutlery is cute, cute, cute!

Price Cream Parlor said...

CUTE Easter ideas! Thanks for sharing!

Angie said...

Beautiful picture. I love all of you frills. You almost outdid yourself. Love the painted eggs.

Mandy said...

I really like your picture! You have such pretty hair.

Those hot cross buns look so good.

Michelle Alley said...

My mom used to fix hot cross buns, although I've never seen them in the grocery stores until our move here.

It's great to see all your decorations, I am collecting so many great ideas for next year! And Yes! This is my first Easter here in montreal -we moved here in October 2006 - just in time for winter! (from Southern California!)

Amy said...

The dollar store egg painter is fabulous. What fun. And I am absolutely loving the silverware carrots idea. The creativity is endless.

Anonymous said...

What terrific ideas, Barb. Thanks so much. You always have such creative things to see. I, too, thought your picture was beautiful.

carlo said...

oh i love the decorations. all of them are darling. the silverware-- too cute! love the egg painter. great idea.

i only like peeps once they have had a chance to get a bit "stale" and then i love them. fresh out the box i don't like them. something about them not being as "squishy" once they are stale makes them taste better to me.

SHERI said...

So cute. What fun ideas.

Kelly said...

That was the perfect Easter post. I want a do over, I want to recreate Easter just like you did!

Love the painting kits, very cool.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I am not a fan of peeps, but those hot cross buns look very yummy! Great hair! I didn't attempt to do anything with my hair for church - rarely do.

Anonymous said...

Not a fan of Peeps either but I love that egg painter you found from the dollar store! How fun! I LOVE dollar stores. So many interesting treasures waiting to be found!

Lovely picture of you by the way. It's so nice to have a reason to get ourselves looking "put together" isn't it? At least I usually have to have a good reason to do my "Do"! :)

annalisa said...

Wow. You really went all out! What fun for your kids. And I think Peeps are nasty.

Unknown said...

Who needs a bonnet with great hair like that?

I love all the Easter pictures, particularly that find from The Dollar Store. They make your eggs look top-notch!

Jill said...

You did so many fun things for Easter, you definitely had frills upon it! (Great idea by the way.) Your hair looks great, it was worth the time you put in.

Ortensia Norton said...

Awesome awesome awesome. I love all of it. But I LOVE the rabbit droppings (of course). That egg kit from $ store. I need one. I need to go hunt. Those pier 1 eggs are the most beautiful eggs I've seen.

Look at all those commenters:-) Good on you.