Tuesday 3 April 2007

Bakes well with others


I don't have a regular shopping/pampering/crafting/eating out thing that I do with friends. My girlfriend social life is more random. (Such a great teenage word - or is 'random' just something the kids around here are saying?) My mom, however, is a real planner. She likes a schedule, and she loves tradition because it means activities are planned in advance - they happen every year! A new annual fall tradition I do with my mom and my sister (and sisters-in-law if they'll travel for it) is the great apple pie project. (Projects may be my favorite way to play with others)




We spent one Saturday last October making apple pies, and by the end of the day we each had enough apples pies to get us through our (long) winter. It was such a fun day - oh, and I should credit my dad with peeling nearly as many apples as I did, and being our go-for guy.

I enjoy the fruits of our apple pie day at least twice a month. My kids have actually been heard to whine, "Apple pie againnnnnn?" I baked one for our report card buffet, but we were too full to eat it on Friday night, so we had it for breakfast on Saturday. My dad always said that in heaven you eat pie for breakfast every day.

15 comments:

jenny said...

Barb, those look devine! What a fun activity to do with your mom. I would love to come learn how to bake with you :)

Anonymous said...

What an accomplishment! I loved seeing all those pies.

Anonymous said...

If you had my freezer, you would have lost all your pies with all my meat. :)

This activity amazes me every year -- maybe someday we'll be around for that one. I cracked up at the "apple pie againnnn??"

Elizabeth said...

I love to bake also. I always bake alone but how fun it would be to do it with others.

Anne said...

That is a LOT of apple pie!! Looks delicious (even at 7:55 in the morning!)

Unknown said...

wow!! i love that baking is PLAY for you. i always get frustrated!

Amy said...

Wow. The pies are amazing! And my husband & yours share the same birthday!

carlo said...

ohhh i could never get tired of pie! especially peach and apple. yummy!

love your pic. neat tradition. i long to do a cookie exchange or cookie baking day with gf's but not one of my gf's are up for it.

Mandy said...

that sounds like such a fun thing to do every year. I am not good at baking, but always enjoy the fruits of my labor. It always tastes good, but looks funny. I guess I will have to practice more.

Michelle Alley said...

Barb - how can i get my hands on some of that pie! Wow - that looks like so much fun. It's also beautiful picture of you! have a great day!

Ortensia Norton said...

Ah pie. Something to cheat on b/c it is worth it. Especially apple pie. And for breakfast it's divine. I've only ever been down for pear pie. That was very fun.

Jill said...

What a cool tradition and what a fun take on "Playing Well With Others". I have never made an apple pie (nor do I like them because I don't like cooked fruit) but I can appreciate this activity.

Price Cream Parlor said...

Serious fruit of your labor! I think that is fantastic! Who wouldn't want a fresh pie on a whim?! Love the comment about "apple pie...again!" - too funny!
Love your take on this challenge!

Bek said...

Those look great and I LOVE the tradition... I actually HATE apples and apple pie but I LOVE to make it.

Weird, huh?

annalisa said...

pie for breakfast? that is heaven.