Tuesday 27 February 2007

Best Slippers Forward

My house has cold porcelain tile from the front entrance through the kitchen. I chose it for its durability and magical powers: it looks clean even when it's dirty. Actually my husband hates that quality in our tile because he's always afraid the floor is dirty. I told him he just needs to assume it's clean.

I started wearing slippers when we moved into this house six years ago for two reasons. First, my feet were cold on the ceramic tile (we moved in at the beginning of winter - in the summer the floor is refreshingly cool). Second, the tile wears out socks like we're walking around outside on the sidewalk in our stocking feet. It takes a little longer to wear out slippers, but at Christmas time this year I needed new ones, so I put slippers on my list. I'm not very good at making a Christmas list, it's always short and boring, because of that I usually get everything on my list. So the slippers weren't a surprise, but I was happy to get them. These are my feet on Christmas morning - the only picture of me that day.

4 comments:

annalisa said...

Alexis wears her slippers everyday. I want flip flop slippers and when I find ones that don't cover my toes, I may actually own my first pair of sliipers.
Even though I am constantly saying I need this or that, when it comes down to making a Christmas list I go blank. So I usually get everything on my list too.
I have hardwood so that I always know it's dirty :). In a way it's a pain that way, but it softer and warmer than tile and after crawling around on tile in my house when I sprained my ankle, I decided I wanted hardwood.

Ortensia Norton said...

They look very comfy. Right now I am wearing my pink Eddie Bauer slippers that look 15 years old b/c I used them so much but they're only a year old.
Wow, your only picture on Christmas day. Crazy!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure there is a picture of me from Christmas day -- pre-self portrait Tuesdsay times.

I've never been to your house in cold months, but I can imagine slippers would be a necessity. Our bathroom floor is really chilly in the winter and our temps are generally above freezing.

And, I had to laugh about Ken worrying that the floor really is dirty. That was the blessing and curse of my all white kitchen 2 houses ago.

Unknown said...

cute picture!! i used to be a slipper person. i have no idea when i stopped being one. although, i have recently taken over my husbands "acorn socks" when it's really cold.