Thursday 30 December 2010

Ken's sister, Christy, died this morning. It came as a surprise - maybe it shouldn't have. She'd been fighting a brave fight against the cancer in her body, but we were still hoping.

At her house today Steven noticed the poem that Marissa had framed for Christy's birthday. It holds the thoughts I am hanging on to tonight:


The Weaver


My life is but a weaving
Between my Lord and me;
I cannot choose the colors
He worketh steadily. 
Ofttimes He weaveth sorrow
And I in foolish pride,
Forget that He seeth the upper,
And I the under side. 
Not till the loom is silent
And the shuttles cease to fly,
Shall God unroll the canvas
And explain the reason why. 
The dark threads are as needful
In the Weaver’s skillful hand,
As the threads of gold and silver
In the pattern He has planned. 


He knows, He loves, He cares,
Nothing this truth can dim.
He gives His very best to those
Who leave the choice with Him.

13 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I'm so, so sorry Barb. My sincere condolences.

I, too, love that poem. Many, many times it has helped to give me perspective. I often think of Joseph, with his coat of many colors, and how the trials and tribulations he endured ultimately made such a beautiful pattern.

Again, my thoughts and prayers are with you, Ken, and all the family.

Amy said...

Oh Barb. I'm so sorry to hear that. I've been thinking so much lately about how Faith & Hope - and how our vision is truly rather limited in this life.

My thoughts&prayers will be with you and your family, as well.

Amanda said...

Oh Barb...I'm so sorry! I remember your post not too long ago about her cancer returning.

That poem holds the key..that we must trust in His plan. Blessings and strength to all of your family at this time.

Kelly said...

I was shocked to hear this, too, after our last phone conversation. I can only imagine the shock and sadness you all are feeling. Christy has been in my prayers, and her loved ones will remain there. I'm so sorry. Love you!

Kelly said...

So sorry Barb and family. Thinking of you.

michelle said...

I'm so sorry, Barb, for you and all your family. What a loss. Thank you for sharing that poem - so good for us all to remember.

Tiffany said...

I'm so sorry for your family's loss. It certainly is hard to leave the choice to Him. :( I'll pray for peace for your family.

Jill said...

I am so sorry for this loss, even with the great comfort of The Plan of Salvation it is difficult to lose someone--especially so young.

I've never read this poem before, but I love it! I'm going to print it out so I can see it often.

Marie said...

I've been thinking about her and her family all day. Oh, so sad.

Ortensia Norton said...

The waves of sadness come and go. I think of Bruce and the kids and her parents and her siblings and her in-laws and all her nieces and nephews and how they are all mourning and how it impacts each of their lives. And how I will miss seeing her at your family events.

Michelle Alley said...

Barb - I am truly sorry for your family's loss. I had heard of dear Christy through Natalie and how brave she has been. I can't imagine your sorrow, but know you all must find great joy in her life and all she has given. Take care my dear.

Tasha said...

I'm so sorry. I've been checking back to see how she was doing. Things like this are just so unfair.
That poem is beautiful and my prayers are with your family as you grieve.

April said...

Trust...is easy to say and much less easy to do. I'm learning this myself, though in not nearly so hard a way. I find this poem just lovely and I think it must have been such a comfort to her as well.

And, it is always a surprise.