Friday 4 December 2009

How I saved Christmas

(a true story)

I've been participating in an aerobics class at the church on Tuesday and Thursday mornings this fall. The instructor is one of the best in the city, but she does it for free as a service to anyone who wants to participate. It's whipped me into the best shape I've been in a long time.

Anyhow. Quite often the gym is too warm for me to work out comfortably, and I recently realized that the problem is that our ward chorister arrives at the building ahead of us and turns on the heat in the chapel while he practises the organ, which in turn also warms up the gym.

So this Thursday I walked into the chapel before aerobics started and turned the temperature to cold. I warned Darwin I was freezing him out, but he said he was finished anyways. Then, as I turned away to return to the gym he asked me if Jaclyn was ready for Sunday. (He was referring to her turn to play the organ in sacrament meeting.) I told him that Jaclyn never practises till Saturday, but then I added that maybe this week she should practise more so that she can play other Christmas hymns for prelude. He said, "Oh, I didn't assign her Christmas hymns. It's Fast and Testimony Sunday: I chose hymns centered on the Savior."

What? Despite the up-tempo music calling me back to the gym, I couldn't hold back. I told him that actually Christmas hymns are very centered on the Savior and that I thought he should change the program. I then back-pedalled and told him I wasn't trying to do his calling for him (even though clearly I was) and that I would mind my own business (even though clearly I wasn't). Well, he called me later that day with new hymns for Jaclyn to play - With Wondering Awe and O Little Town of Bethlehem. I apologized (insincerely) for meddling, and told him (with enthusiasm) how much I am looking forward to singing Christmas hymns this week.

Here's a new Christmas hymn the Young Women are singing in Sacrament meeting on the 20th:
/

/
If I could save only one thing about Christmas it would be the music - nothing makes me feel the Spirit of Christmas more.

13 comments:

Jill said...

I'm sure many people at church will be happy to be singing Christmas hymns. What was he thinking? I'm baffled by this.

I've been listening to a great cd my sister--in-law sent me of church hymns done in a folk music style, and I can't seem to get enough of it. As I was singing it in the car last night I realized it's because the music feels very Christmasy to me since I'm singing about the Savior.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh Barb, this post says so much in such a little space. I love your honesty.

Marie said...

I think I know your next calling.

Tiffany said...

With so few Sundays before Christmas you've got to use them all! :)

Recently I've got hooked on the podcasts from the church (from http://radio.lds.org/eng/). The Music with a Message and History of Hymns programs are so inspiring.

Kelly said...

I like Marie's comment, you really did seal your fate!

When you do get your new calling here is a tradition our ward does that is my most favorite: The Sunday after Thanksgiving, people are asked in advance to choose their favorite Hymn and prepare a little blurb explaining why. They say their blurb then the congregation sings the hymn. An entire Sacrament meeting of hymn singing. My favorite part of the holidays!

Lucy said...

How can Christmas Hymns not be about the Savior????? Way to set him straight. He needed it.

I've heard success stories about early morning church workouts. Sadly, I think it would be a bomb here. We are just too spread out. But, it sounds like fun, especially if you have someone great teaching.

Katie A. said...

I love the "I appologized (insincerely)" But when you're right, you're right!

melanie said...

We didn't sing one Christmas hymn on Sunday. I noticed and it was a little irritating to me. Just thought you'd like to know if I were in your ward, I would have pat you on the back. Only so many Sundays for all those beautiful hymns. Great post.

Jenny said...

Way to go, I love the Hymns at Christmas time. Although I took note that we did not sing Christmas hymns on Sunday either. Maybe this next Sunday.

Amanda said...

Several pews of us were very disappointed that there was nary a Christmas song to be had in the lineup on Sunday.

We only get 4 weeks to sing them and we're not singing Rudolph here folks!

So glad you set him straight...I'm sure the whole congregation was grateful too.

What a beautiful song the YW are singing!!

Price Cream Parlor said...

This is so odd to me!!
I love Kelly's idea when you get your new calling! HA HA!
Have a safe trip way down South!!!

April said...

When I woke up on Sunday I told David, "Do you know what is great about today?" He said, "What?" I said, "Today we get to sing Christmas hymns." I would have died if I had gone to church and not been able to sing them...you did the right thing.

michelle said...

I agree with you 100%! What could be more about the Savior than Christmas hymns??!