Friday 18 September 2009

Marathon of Hope

.
I had the privilege of running in the Terry Fox Run with Chloe today at school.
.
.
Terry Fox is a Canadian Hero.
/
As a young man he suffered from bone cancer in his leg and had to have it amputated. Two years after his operation he started a running program and set a goal for himself to run across Canada to raise money for cancer research. He started at the Atlantic Ocean and ran 42km (a full marathon) his first day. He ran another marathon the next day, and then the next. He ran marathon after marathon for 143 days until the pain in his chest stopped him. The cancer had returned - this time in his lungs.
.
Terry Fox died in June of 1981, but his legacy lives on. I ran in my first school-sponsored Terry Fox Run when I was 9 years old, and millions of Canadian children have participated in his Marathon of Hope since then.
.
Over $400 million dollars have been raised by the Terry Fox Foundation for cancer research, some of it in large endowments, but also much of it in small
*Toonies for Terry* campaigns in elementary schools across the country.
.

11 comments:

Jill said...

Wow, what a legacy he leaves!

Tiffany said...

Wow. (Just what I was going to say!) I can't imagine running even one marathon...

Natalie said...

The thought of running one marathon makes me dizzy, but a marathon day after day for 143 days is unimaginable!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

That IS inspiring. Truly amazing. Hooray for people with a passion to make a difference for others.

Marie said...

Carter's Terry Fox day isn't until the 25th. I think it is amazing how his impact has continued for nearly thirty years.

Anonymous said...

Way to go!

April said...

My dad told us this story over and over when we were kids. We would cry every time he told it. I think it is so cool that Canadian kids still run every year in his memory.

Emily said...

His aunt works at my kid's school...they make a big deal about it there. In fact I was there today and they have Terry Fox run t-shirts lining a hall- there must be over 20.

Michelle Alley said...

I had no idea who Terry Fox was until my girl's started school. I love that they do this fundraiser every year - the girl's really love it and I love that they can learn about him.

michelle said...

Hang on. He ran a marathon every day! I can't imagine running one, but one after another, without even recovery time? And with a prosthetic leg?? No wonder he's a Canadian hero!

I love that the school kids run in his memory.

Amanda said...

What a legacy he leaves...and inspires in so many young children.

Great cause.