Monday 15 December 2008

Crafty

Last week for Spanish class Jaclyn had to make a 3D object that represented weather and incorporated several sentences using the weather vocabulary they've been learning. Additionally, the project had to represent something from Hispanic culture.
(I really thought arts and crafts homework would be over by high school.)
/
Jaclyn made a pinata rain cloud with Cricut raindrop letters falling below, making up the vocabulary aspect of the project. In order to craft a pinata just the right shape - not a party balloon shape - we bought a mylar balloon and she set it on it's side which gave a nice cloudy silhouette.
/
The greater challenge came in figuring out how to display it. Hanging it from the classroom ceiling would have been a fire hazard, so I had to go out homework shopping in December. The happy ending is that I found just the right thing: an upside down tomato cage./Lucky for me there were some tomatoe cages in the back of my nearby garden center. It's not exactly tomato season around here.
/
So I had some internal grumbling going on about this Spanish project, I'm not gonna lie. But it did lead to some bright Christmas ideas:
/
/
1) Tomatoe cages look like Christmas trees. I've never noticed it in July, but plenty of other people have. I might not craft a tomato cage this week, but I will keep it in mind for the future.
/
/
2) I know of only one other person who is going to truly appreciate this idea, but what have I been doing constructing my own elaborate Christmas pinata shapes for all these years? Mylar balloons, Marie.
/
/
They're the wave of the future.
/

9 comments:

Marie said...

That is a great idea! This year I am attempting to construct a Grinch pinata. I have no idea how it will work out. None.

The tomato cage Christmas trees is a neat idea, but the feathery one was a little too strange for me.

Denise said...

Clever! I think I can safely say I never would have come up with such a creative project.

P.S. Yeah, the pink feather boa tree is over the top. But I like the natural one!

melanie said...

Oh I am not looking forward to big kid crafts and homework. That is quite the project.

I would have never thought tree with those cages either. Crafty people. Can't wait to see what you do, in the future that is.

Elizabeth said...

We always had a pinata on Christmas growing up! I need to make my own how fun. The mylar idea seems genius.

Unknown said...

i used tomato cages and made some very mod trees for a New Year's Eve party we catered years ago. clever, clever girls!

the arts and crafts homework IN high school IN december certainly feels like a double whammy.

Katie A. said...

Wow, that is quite a project, especilly when it involved EXTRA shopping this time of year. I'm excited to see what you do with the tomatoe cages!

jenny said...

What a clever idea. I will for sure have to stick that one in my back pocket. I meant to tell you I LOVE that scripture calendar you sent me last hear. It's happily posted on my fridge!

Tiffany said...

I agree--brilliant idea for a pinata base! (And it would be strong, too!)

michelle said...

Huh, I don't think I ever would have put tomato cages and trees together! (and I have a bunch in my shed, too...)