Friday 6 June 2008

Grad 2008 *A Night Among the Stars*

Jaclyn's Jr. High grad banquet and dance were held tonight. It was an Oscar's theme with movie posters, candles, mini lights, and lots of stars. The students and teachers giving speeches were introduced as the winning nominee complete with the tearing of the envelope to reveal the winning name.
/

The two boys who M.C.'d the evening had very sweet things to say about Jaclyn not only for her involvement in school activities and academics, but also for her kindness and friendship.
Jaclyn gave a clever speech. Our school started out as a one room school house many years ago. Eventually a newer school was built, renovated and added on, then replaced by the new campus the students attend now. Jaclyn took this evolution of the physical changes of our school and made them into a metaphor for her classmates as they have grown, beginning from kindergarten (the one room school house).
/
Jaclyn's beautiful hair as she listens to her Math teacher's tribute to the class of 2008.
'/

My parents were able to attend, and I hope they had a good time. I thought the grad committee and teachers and students put on a stellar event. Ken's parents would have enjoyed the evening also, but they have a standing commitment to serve in the temple on Friday nights.

/;

It is killing me not to post photos of Jaclyn with her friends - they all looked so beautiful and happy. I did catch this photo of Jaclyn and the boy we shared a table with at the dessert buffet. His mom chastised him for losing his jacket and un-tucking his shirt, but I felt no reproach for the young man that went to the punch table and brought back a glass for Jaclyn.
'.

I wasn't the only mom who thought that the grad & parent dance was the sweetest moment of the evening. Ken and I didn't linger long once he had his dance - the rest of the night was for the kids to celebrate.
.

Driving home Ken and I reflected on what a blessing it has been for Jaclyn to attend this school. The tradition of excellence (I put that in just for you, honey) and the positive culture have made Jaclyn's past 10 years the best they could have been.

21 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Wow, Barb. This looks like what a graduation should be like and I felt the excitement for you through the post. What an incredible evening for you all.

Unknown said...

i would have loved a grad night like that. you look like super proud parents!!

michelle said...

What a great event! Jaclyn's hair is beautiful, and it would kill me not to post the rest of the photos as well. I love the boy that brought her a glass of punch...

Marie said...

I don't think it would be possible for Jaclyn to have looked any more beautiful. I cannot believe what a young woman she is growing into.

Congratulations, Jaclyn.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a fancy night! It looks like it was amazing.

Jaclyn is beautiful! Congratulations!

Ortensia Norton said...

And to think I ran into you both on her first day of Kindergarten. Wow.
And to think that my starts in 2 months.
Great dress Jaclyn!

Tasha said...

You look beautiful, J looks just like you! I love the shot of the three of you! What a proud night for you all!

Laurie said...

Beautiful! I love all the details.

Anonymous said...

I told you someone would think we looked alike.

Elizabeth said...

That school does seem like such an amazing blessing.
J looks beautiful! What a blessing to have such an amazing daughter too.

Amy said...

You look like one hot mama in that dress! What a fun night for all of you. It's so nice to be a part of such a great school, I'm sure.

Cecilia said...

What a fun and special night for you guys!
I loved all the details and the pictures, specially the one of the three of you.
Jaclyn does look a lot like you!

April said...

Love the dress, the hair, and the glass of punch. What a gorgeous young woman you have. Wish I could have heard the speech...I'm sure you were busting with pride.

Katie A. said...

What a special night. I love the idea of an Oscars theme. How great, and it sounds like it was planned to the last detail. It also sounds like Jaclyn goes to school with some very nice kids. Is she nervous to move on to high school?

Anonymous said...

katie a. -
i'm not really nervous about it, but i'm a little sad because a lot of my friends are going to different high schools than i am!

Price Cream Parlor said...

Sounds like a grand event! She looked darling! I love the last photo of the three of you! You are so fortunate to have her in a school that you just love!

Mandy said...

Jaclyn looks beautiful! I love the picture of the three of you.

Anonymous said...

My daughters 8th grade graduation looked dull compared to the wonderful theme and pictures you have shared. Ours was in the Old tabernacle here in American Fork. They had a few speakers which were wonderful. Then had the students line up with thier names, then as they come up to the stand to walk across they handed their name to the counslors who read them. We ended up with wonderful certificates in the end. Emi even won a national award in science. Which I did not even notice until 2 day's later. The kids went back to school afterwards for a dance. The whole event was an hour long. So they could have the night to dance. I love how you seem to be there for the whole evening. Congatulations Jaclyn, your hair is so cute!

Tiffany said...

What an amazing night--so much excitement for you all! Jaclyn looked stunning in her dress! Those students surely felt like stars for the evening.

jenny said...

Wow! What an event and I LOVE her dress. She looks beautiful. Congrats to Jacklyn for a job well done!

Lucy said...

She's a beauty. Her hair looks lovely and the entire evening looks well planned and special. Although you and your husband don't look nearly old enough to have a child graduating from middle school.