Thursday 8 May 2008

SPT{h}

How old is old?



Age can be a touchy subject, but I hope I'm safe to say that this chamber pipe organ circa 1785 is something old.





Today I went with Carmen on the best field trip to Cantos Music Foundation down town. I first heard of this museum last summer through Tourism Calgary, a site I use all the time to find out about special local events. I wasn't confident it would be fun for my kids, and I never got brave enough (or bored enough?) to give it a try, but it is well worth a family visit in the near future.




In one area there was a whole wall of various instruments, which I didn't initially realize were connected together and operated by the keyboard at the end. This multi-instrument instrument is a Theatre Organ and it was used back in the days of Silent Pictures to add live music to movies. This Theatre Organ is one of only ten existing in Canada.
(I learned this song on the piano as a child, but I dont' know what it is called. Anyone? Anyone?)

While I was there I learned that Cantos sometimes hosts a "Silent Movie Night" accompanied by their Theatre Organ, which is now at the top of my (newly created with only one item) list of unique dates I want to go on with Ken.





Carmen's favorite instrument was the Theremin. It works kind of like two radio antennae which react to your hands moving closer and farther away - controlling pitch and volume. It can make ghost sound effects or motorcycle sound effects as well as recognizable tunes, depending on the skill of the operator.

We won't be trading in piano lessons for theremin lessons. Can you imagine living with that thing?

19 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Now THAT is cool. What a great field trip now and for the future. And I agree, 1785 is old. . .old. . .old.

Melanie said...

I love old musical instruments, it is so neat to see how things have evolved and progressed to the electric piano's we play today.

jenny said...

It sounds like a voice gone wild. What a fun field trip!

michelle said...

I clicked on the first video, confident that I could probably identify the song for you. Foolish girl...

Denise said...

The music is by Debussy. I'm trying to remember the title. I played it when I was growing up, too. It's....dang. It's on the tip of my tongue. Let me think and I'll get back to you.

Denise said...

Golliwog's Cakewalk! It's from the Children's Corner. Ah, now I feel better.

That museum looks SO cool!

Barb said...

Thank you Denise!!!

Humphreys Family said...

I was so excited when i heard the clip - i knew right away it was Golliwog's Cakewalk...I have it in my stack of music as a grade 9 peice i believe. So disappointing to realize i wouldn't be the one to remind you what it was. I also went on that field trip earlier this year, a fun one to go on. Did they tell you that that monstrosity of and organ thing was last in some woman's basement and that's why all the pipes have been turned at the ends. Imagine having that huge thing in your home.

Elizabeth said...

I just went on a field trip this week. So thankful for my mellow baby in the front pack.

Laurie said...

What an experience! Love that you've got it documented, esp. as an SPT!

Anonymous said...

so sorry for the double post if it is a double post. (blogger%*&^^%)

what a cool spt, as always!

the field trip sounds perfect for your family.

so it is internationally field trip season, eh?

i have had a field trip this week, one last week and one nect week!
-carlo

Tiffany said...

What an amazingly unique place to go for a field trip! Such a fun time. I'm amazed at everyone who knew the song!

Unknown said...

how i love LOVE love debussy... this is one awesome instrument!

Tasha said...

I would agree that those cound as old! Great examples!

Anonymous said...

Intresting instrument/organ, etc...
What a fun trip. Theremin, what an intresting instrument. I thought that I knew alot about music having played in band a good portion of my childhood years. But you taught me something new today.

Dacia said...

What a fun place. My kids would love it, especially that weird instrument, the Theremin. I couldn't imaging one of those in the house. Still it looks like fun to visit and have them play there.

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking we need to come to Calgary sometime soon. What a great field trip.

Emerson has a farm field trip this week (making the 6th time we have done that field trip over the years), but fortunately for me Keith is taking her! Every year it sets my allergies off like wild fire, and I dread it from year to year. I would gladly welcome a new field trip to the repertoire -- especially one as cool as this.

Marie said...

I didn't recognize the song you played; I can only say for certain it was not Birch Canoe.

I want a Theremin.

Amanda said...

Sounds like a great field trip! What neat and interesting things you learned there.