Tuesday 6 May 2008

Blog Party 2008

.
Before I left for Utah I mentioned to a few people that I was heading to Women's Conference. If Ken was with me when the subject came up he'd say, "Tell them where else you're going in Utah . . . " So I just stopped telling people I was going away at all. How do you explain about a blogging *reunion* with people you've never *met*?
Kelly and I had the bright idea of staying at the Hampton Inn where the blogging party was held, which turned out to be a good idea since we lingered at the party till 1am! (I was so glad just to be taking the elevator upstairs when we finally tore ourselves away)
.

.

Kelly and I spent most of Saturday shopping. We thought we'd head to the hotel around 5pm to repack our new purchases into our suitcases and freshen up for the party. We didn't get to the hotel until 5:30 or so, only to be told by the person at the front desk that the blogging party room was booked for 5pm! We panicked at the idea of meeting up with any bloggers in our state of dishevelment, and we unloaded our bags and carried them up to our room as quickly and discreetly as possible (other than the spy moves and laughter we couldn't suppress). We were relieved to hear from Lisa who checked her evite and informed us that the party didn't start till 7pm. I don't know why I didn't print out my evite and bring it with me to refer to for details?
.


When we went downstairs we were immediately greeted with hugs and welcomes from Jill, Michelle, and Kristi. No detail was neglected for the party with cute blogging centerpieces on the tables and more food than we could consume! I brought 2 flavors of my hand dipped chocolates served in my signature pizza box. My kids could not believe their luck when I dipped chocolates 2 weeks ago and saved some for them. Christmas chocolates in April? Well, the weather was cooperating with my Christmas spirit that week.
We had time to visit, as well as door prizes for everyone (with the obligation of an acceptance speech/introduction - which I really appreciated because I knew so few of the bloggers there)!


.

I realized right before we headed down to the blogging party that I had left the memory card for my camera at home inside the laptop computer, and the port on my camera is corrupted, so all photos that I took at women's conference are trapped on the hard drive of my Nikon. I'm sad about that, but it was very nice just to enjoy the party without trying to document it. Thanks to better photographers than I, there are plenty of blog party photos on Jill's smugmug gallery for me to save and store myself. Thanks for sharing your camera talents, ladies!

I am only slightly surprised that the bloggers are in real life all they seem to be on their blogs (except Annalisa who talks with her hands which SPT has failed to reveal). I enjoyed the personal connection with previous blogging friends at the party - so nice to put my arms around you - and I feel like I've made more blogging friends as well. I even learned a thing or two about blogging from the Q&A period, and I am considering some format changes based on what I learned.

Thanks for the hospitality and only making fun of my Canadian accent once, eh!

20 comments:

Lucy said...

I absolutely loved meeting you face to face and matching personality to voice. You didn't surprise me at all:)

I didn't know you brought the chocolates. They were my favorite thing there! Man...I am so glad I hob nobbed with you!

April said...

Now I'm just crazy jealous and unbelievably curious about the Q&A. Send me an email and fill me in sometime. I would have loved to meet all these women in person.

Oh, and I missed the spy moves which would have put me into fits of laughter again.

Unknown said...

oh, i was there in spirit, you can be sure!

i have absolutely no problem envisioning the spy moves...

Tasha said...

Barb, You are completely adorable! I was the lucky recepient of the left over chocolates and they were served at our family party celebrating my nephew's Eagle Court of Honor the next night. Hope the travel home was easy and your return to normal life was smooth! I LOVE the Canadian accent, totally endearing!

Lindsay said...

I'm so glad I got to meet you, Barb, even though I felt very guilty about my good mail inadequacy. I loved your shirt too!

I also appreciate you sharing your Women's Conference notes. I had a few moments of inspiration just from your little tidbits. Thanks!

michelle said...

It was utterly delightful to meet you in person! I am beyond thrilled that you and Kelly were able to make it so that we could chat and hug and just... not be 2D. And making and bringing all those chocolates -- above and beyond!

Katie A. said...

How awsome to meet all these ladies in person! Fun, fun.

Spy moves...That made me laugh and brought to mind a part in the beginning of The Emperor's New Groove. Ever seen it?

Tiffany said...

I'm sure the beds were softer at the Hampton Inn! (What did the security camera operators think when they watched that tape?) :)

I'm glad you had a great time! Those were sure lucky ladies to get some of your chocolates (thanks for the pre-sample!).

Elisa said...

It was fun to meet you! You were smart to stay at the Hampton, I had to drive 1 hour home at 1 am...what was I thiking? It's like I was in college again.

Laurie said...

I had no idea you were the one to bring ALL those chocolates in the pizza boxes!!

It was so great to meet you. What a perfect idea to stay at the Hampton.

I've been in situations before where I've met people I've known via phone and email for some time before seeing them in person and it was usually shocking. Blogging friends however, just as you mentioned, were so familiar and it was a completely different experience. (in a good way)

I'm so glad you made it!

Cecilia said...

Barb, you're adorable!!! I'm so glad I got to meet you and I wished I had more time to get to know you better....but, that's what blogging is for anyway!!! By next year I will know all abou you.{giggles}
I loved your accent because I have one too and sometimes I don't like my accent.But, what can we do????
I loved the chololates!!! They were Yummy!

Marie said...

So fun! I'm sure it was great to have met the people you've been typing to for a year. And I am sure Ken loved the excuse to tease you.

And you do not have an accent. Everyone else does!

Marie said...

So fun! I'm sure it was great to have met the people you've been typing to for a year. And I am sure Ken loved the excuse to tease you.

And you do not have an accent. Everyone else does!

annalisa said...

Haha. Thanks for inspiring my spt this week :).
You are so smart to have stayed in the hotel. I was a little envious as I climbed into my car smacking on some gum Amy gave me so I could stay awake for the drive.
And I can't believe you brought food! You can actually see me in one of the photos sneaking in one of your chocolates :).
It was so nice to meet you, eh. I hope you can come next year too.

Emily said...

Such fun times! And thanks again for the economic stimulus! ;)

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I met you! You are so stinkin' cute in your all your SP's and just as cute in person. Your chocolates were excellent- so above and beyond to bring those!

carlo said...

ohhhh Q & A??? oh, just one more thing to be terribly sad to miss

(seriously? flat carlo/lelly? too cute!)

amy gretchen said...

Can i just say it was so nice meeting you at the blog party. I know I don't know you well and you may not have even known me other than being Jill's sister in law, but after meeting you you are definitely someone I want to know better. You were fun and very easy to talk with. Plus, your chocolates were yummy and who doesn't want a friend who can make chocolates. :)

Price Cream Parlor said...

Kelly told me about your chocolate surprise! So fun! Looks like you gals had a grand time! I am shocked that you didn't run into Michelle, Kristi and Jill at women's conference. I know. I know - there were a zillion people there. But I was totally convinced you would see them before the party.
Glad you had a great time! Thanks for sharing!

Crystalyn said...

barb, it was so nice to meet you in person at the blog party. i'm so very glad you came. as on your blog, you seem like such a positive person. i wish i would have had a little more time with you. it seems big crowds aren't my thing and i always feel a bit out of place in situations like this. how is it that i still feel this way in my 30's??!? hopefully one of these days i'll get it figured out. if you're ever in town again, i'd love to take you to lunch.