Sunday 11 May 2008

52 Blessings: Working Together

Right now my office is over staffed. Most of the hygienists would like more hours (not me, I just want to keep the hours I have: 8 hours/week), but those women who want more hours want very specific hours. A couple of months ago a request was made for the hygienists to pick up some extra hours at the end of the day, finishing work at 5:30 instead of 3:30. No one wanted to work a 10 hour day, and everyone had reasons they wanted to be done by 3:30. The sign up sheet to work the "after hours" dates remained empty when I came back to work the next week, and clearly the doctors were furious that those who have complained about not getting enough work days weren't willing to help out by making appointment times available to patients who want to come in later in the day.
I went home and talked to the kids about it. I explained that I would be helping my office out if I would work later on Wednesdays, and that it would only be temporary. I told the kids that if they would work together after the carpool dropped them off; do their chores, piano, and homework till I got home, I would put all the extra money I earned into a Wii fund.
The kids have been great about it, I've left them a to-do list and they have worked together and gotten along. Jaclyn has missed out on this project because of school play rehearsals, which has made it almost better because the other kids have moved up a notch in responsibility without Jaclyn home for this work exercise.
After the kids earned their first $300 I was lucky enough to find a store flyer advertising a new location that would have Wii gaming systems for their grand opening. I had to stand in line outside for 30 minutes in the cold (it had snowed the night before) and then an hour inside the store, but I was one of the happy customers who walked away with a Wii. While I was at it I bought more components and games for the kids to earn over the next few weeks as I finish up my 6 weeks of working late.
I can't say this has been a sacrifice for the kids, because they are being well rewarded, but I do appreciate the way they have treated each other well on those afternoons and done all that has been asked of them.
At work I'm a hero with the doctors. I haven't been asked to give up any early morning hours, nor have I had my total hours cut back as the other hygienists have over the last month. My job security is stronger than ever.

4 comments:

jenny said...

I think working together without fighting is a HUGE blessing within itself. Speaking from our house that can sometimes be very difficult.

Sounds like a win/win for all. Well, I guess mostly the kids. But my question is since the wii has been around for a few years why is it still so dang hard to buy? Perhaps they have something with supply and demand. If that is the case...they are smart!

Kelly said...

That is such a cool lesson. And it doesn't have to be a sacrifice on the kids part for it to be a rewarding experience to pitch in together. What a cool way to achieve all kinds of goals and rewards. You are one smart Mama!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I agree with Kelly, you are one smart mama! What a win-win-win-win (one for you, one for the kids, one for the dentists, one for the patients). I'm glad you could find a wii and make it all work.

Tiffany said...

What a good solution--so nice to have responsible kids to make it all work! (and lucky them!)