Monday 3 March 2008

Baubles

Yesterday at church I was awarded with the Young Womanhood Recognition award for completing my personal progress requirements for the second time. I earned it young woman style (more requirements) verses leader style (streamlined), and I am so proud of myself! I really believe the personal progress program is about the journey, not the destination, but I was so pleased to go in and have an interview with my bishop, and then to be presented with the medallion. I surprised myself on that one! Here is my blessing this week in the 52 Blessings project:
'
My medallion.
''
I sort of got *programmed through* my first award when I was a teen, and it didn't mean very much to me. I lost that medallion long ago, which I'm sorry for now (I would totally buy a YW medallion circa 1988 on eBay if I could find one). There is no chance of me losing my medallion this time! I did the work and experienced the growth so I value the jewelry.
The true reward is the progress I have made in the past 2 years. I have a testimony that personal progress sets young women on the path of eternal progress.
' *
If I'd blogged at all in the last six days I would have blogged about some of my favorite jewelry as a lead up to my YW medallion post. I still feel like doing a little show and tell, so here you go:
'
'
My typewriter key necklace. I bought this when Kelly and I went antiquing in Portland last summer. I like the random keys; I wouldn't want an actual word that I could tire of. I felt very cool when I later saw a similar bracelet on Design Mom.
'
'
Unfortunately the typewriter key bracelet isn't very comfortable. It's loose enough, but if I fold my arms it really presses into my flesh. I often take it off when it starts to bug me, and I thought I'd lost it for awhile there till I recovered it from the bottom of my Sunday bag.
'
'
I bought this necklace on an alone trip with Ken to San Francisco in June of 2006. Ken was standing in line buying tickets for the trolley and I wandered over to a street vendor. It was love at first sight, there was just something about the blown glass heart beads that did it for me. I went back to Ken and got a $20 bill from him (the asking price) and just bought it. Ken wasn't pleased I didn't try to haggle, but come on! I would have happily paid more - it looks lovely with my favorite dress.


'
My friend Tania alerted me to these rings at the Millarville Farmer's Market two summers ago. A craftsman (craftswoman actually, but it doesn't sound right) makes these rings from embossed vintage silver cutlery handles. But again, I take it off all the time. It's a little big and thick. Style over comfort though, just like my bracelet!
'
Jewelry takes people's minds off your wrinkles. ~Sonja Henie

15 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Way to go, Barb, on receiving your Young Womanhood Recognition Award! I agree with you wholeheartedly on what you said about it.

Anonymous said...

Good for you for earning your medallion the second time! Being the personal progress person for our ward, I know that is a LOT of work! Great example for your girls, though.

I totally remember your typewriter bracelet -- that was a fun shopping trip!

Mandy said...

Your ring is very cool. Every summer we have the sweet pea festival and usually someone sells rings like those. I have always been tempted.

Kelly said...

Ooh I love baubles! Especially funky original stuff like what you've got there. I lost my favorite necklace, I thought it was at the bottom of the church bag, alas, no.

Congratulations on the YW Medallion again. Like you, I burned through the process as a youth and don't have a clue where the necklace is now. Sad.

Ortensia Norton said...

I have mine from 1993. Mark might be tempted to put it on E-Bay. It was a YW leader who pushed me along in Mia Maids and then I did it on my own in Laurels. The things I did as Laurel have really helped me through the years. I think I'd be too lazy and tired to redo it, so good for you!
PS I love the look of this new one. YW cupboard here I come:-)

Amy said...

I have never even considered earning my medallion again. I had the smug "I've done that" attitude when our YW President asked which leaders had never received theirs. But here you go making me re-think! So cool for the girls to see & hear you testify about, I'm sure.

Katie A. said...

Congratulations on your medallion. I agree that you have to really appreciate the journey to appreciate the destination. And all your other jewelry is great!

April said...

Other than the medallion, my favorite is, of course, the typewriter bracelet. And I love the random letters.

So, I am curious about your ten hour projects...if they aren't too personal, that would make a great post.

Price Cream Parlor said...

CONGRATS! I can't imagine doing it a second time since everything has changed since I received my award. This is a HUGE undertaking and I hope that you do wear that proudly! That is fantastic! Great example to your girls AND your leaders!
I am totally curious about your typewriter necklace - I will have to ask Kel where you found such a treasure! Love the heart necklace and the ring!

Marie said...

It is something completely 'Barb' to do to redo the Personal Progress program just so your young women would see you do it. Such a great YW prez.

I completely love the cutlery ring. It is very cool looking. I don't know if I'd be able to wear it though since everything I wear is so small; this would feel strange, I think.

Anonymous said...

Barb, I am so proud of you. We are struggling with youngwomens here. My daughter really doesn't want to be bothered with any of it. Oh, She goes to church and enjoys the activities. Infact she is the 2nd counslor in her Beehive pres. She just doesn't seem to feel the spirit of the program. Even Sunday night at the young womens "New Beginnings" she walked out not wanting to work on it at all. Now as I read your blog today. I feel inspried to do the program with her. I was a lot like her. Leaders kinda did alot of the work. It did not mean as much as it would now. I still have my medallion. My daugther has often admired it. I think I will offer it to her, when she completes the program. With a new chain on it.
Thanks for the inspration.

Tiffany said...

Congratulations to you! I think in YW my leaders certainly helped me along--but it really was me by the end. I haven't worn my necklace for a while--I should! (I do love the new design and silver/gold choice!).

carlo said...

i am not that familiar with the YW program but I like what I have heard and seen on the blogs...it sounds like a wonderful journey this time with lots of work and dedication. congrats on that...

and i love your other jewelry, too.

the quote made me laugh. i MUST get some jewelry. lots of interesting jewelry!!

michelle said...

Congratulations on doing it "young women-style"! That is a lot of work! I am in love with your typewriter bracelet and your ring both.

Michelle Alley said...

Barb - I am so proud of you! I never finished mine when I was in young womens - and have always wanted to go back and do it. Our YW program consists of only one girl on a good day! I am hoping that when i'm in a ward with a good YW program I'll finish it. Great job! Love all the jewelry!