Wednesday 30 January 2008

C-c-c-cold

I've been wondering if the term cold snap comes from times when the weather gets so cold that people mentally snap. That's what's making sense to me this week.
I heard on the radio today that we can expect the temperature to warm over night, bringing us up to -9 C / 15 F by morning. Yippee! (that was not a sarcastic yippee)
We've had 3 days of deep cold. -30 C / -22 F with a wind chill of -45 C /-49 F.
The schools are open, but the buses aren't running and I've kept my kids home. Staying home due to cold weather isn't fun the way a snow day is fun because everyone is holed up inside, not out playing in the snow, so we've just hunkered down and watched movies and done a fairly good job of not driving each other crazy.

I am grateful to have a reliable car in this weather, but I am still operating like I'm in my old van. I'm dressing for the weather as if at any time my car could break down and leave me standing at the side of the road somewhere. It's probably a good habit.

Last night after mutual I went to gas up, and the first 2 gas stations I tried were shut down completely - the pumps were frozen. I have never seen this before. Although I'm sure it's not a first, it's a first for me.


Just when I thought we were down to zero humidity, the temperature drop has managed to squeeze a little more moisture out of the air and give us some frost on our windows.

Our house is definitely feeling the cold. A few times a year the house gets so cold that we can't bolt the door between our house and the garage. Something contracts, presumably the door frame, and the bolt and the hole don't line up. It's not a security issue as we power down the garage door every night, so no worries, but clearly our home is chilled to the bone.
I forgot to get a picture of the ice forming inside the hood fan above the stove, too bad.
But you get the idea. It's cold.

19 comments:

Marie said...

I've never seen the gas pumps closed before. Interesting.

On the news they said that the average home will cost about $150 to heat in February. Hello gas rebates!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I cannot even imagine. Oh my. Be careful.

michelle said...

Windchill -49 F??? Oh. my. goodness. Suddenly I'm feeling so much warmer than I did before!

Kelly said...

Totally beyond my realm of comprehension. We missed three days of school last year because it was 30 degrees. I can't even imagine your kind of cold.

April said...

oh.my.gosh. We went to the temple tonight with our YM and YW and I was whining about how cold it was...I had to wear a jacket!...um, I take it all back.

Ice? Inside? Above your stove?

I am jealous of your "hunkering" but you know how I am about hibernation...in the summer we hunker down and do puzzles and watch movies all day...do you know that we live almost exactly opposite weather lives?

P.S. You are so adorable in that beanie!

Lindsay said...

Yikes. I have been hating how much snow we have been getting here but you have put it all in perspective. Happy hunkering to you.

Jill said...

Wow, that's what I call "hit somebody cold" because when it's that awful out I just want to hit somebody (not that I ever do).

Staying home being cozy and watching movies sounds fun.

annalisa said...

Oh you need to move to the equator where your clothes are drenched with sweat 5 minutes after getting out of the shower. And there are big, ugly, annoying tropical bugs, and you get heat stroke, and, ok maybe not, but did you feel warm for a second? I'm very sick of the cold myself, but at least it hasn't hit below 0.

Elizabeth said...

I feel bad for complaining it was too cold to leave the window open last night. That is a crazy kind of cold. Hope it keeps warming up.

Emmanuelle said...

-30°C and -45°C !!!!! I didn't know your country could be sooooooooo cooooooooold !!! Well, now, I won't say anymore that I am too cold when it is just -9°C. Is the weather as hot in summer as it is cold in winter in your country ?

carlo said...

oh my ! now that is seriously cold.

i will stop complaining now about our forcast of 12 degrees today.

12 degrees are better than zero or below, right?

and i love the hat, too!

Anonymous said...

I am done complaining about our cold weather.

Katie A. said...

I hate when it gets that cold. Our cold snap ended yesterday, and we have thawed pipes and a drain to show for it. I have never heard of gas pumps freezing, though. I hope it warms up soon!

Lucy said...

I remember that kind of cold. The kind of cold that hurts your nose to breath in.

Bundle, Barb!

Anonymous said...

This was just painful to read. I hope that you've warmed up a bit by now. We are certainly spoiled by a mild winter where we live. I am quite sure I couldn't handle yours!

Stay warm!

Kelly said...

Re: Your comment

I don't remember the source, but I have heard the Canadian railroad is awesome, luxury and style! While we were on our train trip we all talked about how we would definitely take another train trip, but next time through Canada. I have to say, it is an amazing way to see countryside and lifestyles you will never get driving on highways (what do you call major roads?)

So keep working on Ken.

nic said...

I can not even imagine that kind of cold. I grew up in Southern California and now live in Southern Texas. I've rarely even been in snow. You sound like you are managing the "hunkering down" very well. I've heard some horror stories about people really "snapping" during times like these. Well done.

And happy Blogiversary!

jenny said...

That is probably a smart idea to be prepared. I can't imagine getting stranded in the cold. How awful!

Hope you guys are staying warm. BRRRR.

Michelle Alley said...

Oh my! You got us beat! It's cold, but only like -10F instead! We went to NY this weekend just 1 hour away from where we live in MOntreal and when we returned it had snowed 8 inches! It hardly snowed in NY. We are hoping for some much needed warmth in March on a CA trip. I hope things are warming up for you, cold weather is good for the skin, but this is just ridiculous!