Tuesday 13 November 2007

SPT: Advance Christmas Preparations

We are in full swing with Christmas preparations around here. I normally have a rule against starting this early, but we are working on a few homemade gifts and that takes time!
.
. .
. Yesterday the kids helped me make some Christmas presents, and Chloe posed with a finished project, but it is Top Secret, so I can't share.

..
.Thanks to all the creative bloggers inspiring me to improve on last year's Walmart photocard, I crafted my Christmas cards this year. Again, the homemade aspect motivated me to start early. The cards are all done, and now they come with me everywhere I go in this orange box so that I can write a note in each of them and send them off!
.
.
I always make fondant in November. There is no way I would have Christmas chocolates to give my neighbors if I didn't get this project started early.
.
I wish you could smell the cream and sugar cooking together, delightful!
.

I don' t use a candy thermometer, I just do the softball method, submersing a spoonful of fondant in ice water to see if it's done.

.

.The big bonus to this method of regulating my candy cooking is tasting the spoonful after it's cooled!
.

Once the whole batch has had time to cool I have to beat it until it 'turns'.
.
.

All done and ready to flavor. Phew! Now all I have to do is dip the chocolates.

.

20 comments:

Unknown said...

homemade presents, cards AND fondant?!? you are my new superhero!!

melanie said...

Oh Barb, the fondant looks divine! That is my all time favorite kind of chocolate. My gma used to make so many different ones but I always snuch the plain fondant. YUM!

Congrats on being so ahead. You're my hero too. I'm hopefully starting Friday...

Anonymous said...

I'm still in denial that it's November. Way to go on all the early preparations. I had no idea you beat the fondant right on your counter. Makes my mouth water a bit!

Elizabeth said...

You've made me realize I need to get going on my Christmas cards. I just did my SPT and thought how easy I have it this year. Now I got to get motivated.

Becky said...

Way to go on already having your cards made! I'm just starting mine...can we see a pic of the finished product? Great SPT

michelle said...

Well I'm impressed! I've started working on a couple of gifts, but I don't even have an idea for my cards yet... I'm actually wondering if I should just buy some this year (gasp!). And the homemade chocolates -- wow, you are ambitious!

Amy said...

I'm wanting in on all your top secret goings-on! Homemade gifts are fantastic, but I never seem to be organized enough to manage anything great. It's always "next year"...

Sandi said...

I'm impressed, not only are you ahead of the game, you can keep a secret

Mandy said...

I have never made fondant before. I will have to try it. That Chloe is just so cute!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Ohhhhh Barb....you are an inspiration. I love how orderly and competent you are. I loved reading/seeing all your preparations. YOW...(yum and wow).

Anonymous said...

Yummy! I love the holidays. They did kind of sneak up this year, though.

Anonymous said...

Your so inspiring! I have not made fondant for so long. I am thinking it is time to do some this year.

Price Cream Parlor said...

Ok - next time you visit you must show us how to make this lovely! This looks amazing! So fun that you are carting your cards around to personalize them! I need to start brainstorming for ours. I think that last years were our best and so I am having troubles thinking creatively this time around. I can't belive that the holidays are fast approaching!

Michelle Alley said...

You are so on top of things Barb - I am just getting our christmas card photo ready to shoot - and most likely we'll end up at cosco! The candy looks great :)

carlo said...

wow- cards and candy? wow.

you are my heroine barb!!!!! :)

April said...

I read Kelly's post on your birthday...about how amazing you are and how you can do ANYTHING...and I can believe it. Your Christmas prep is a wonder to behold. I'm still in shock that Thanksgiving in next week. Yikes! P.S. Love, love, love your candlelight dinner idea.

Bond Girl 007 said...

Oh yummy...I am always impressed with people that make candy/chocolate home made...that is just sooo foreign to me. Time is creeping up and I don't know what I am going to do for christmas cards....love your eyes on the cute picture...are they green?

jenny said...

You inspired me to do my Pink Christmas gift. I am happy to report it's done, but not sent. Great idea with the box. I considered writing in mine, but it's a lot of work. The guilt is getting to me now. Maybe I will put my box in the car with me on the drive :)

Lindsay said...

Look at you all ahead of the game! I am not even in the game at this point.

My aunt makes pounds and pounds of chocolates every year. They are amazing. Now that I live near her, I am going to invite myself over for Chocolate Day so I can learn how. Yum.

Jill said...

I'm so impressed that your cards are done and that your candy-making is underway. I'm hoping that since Thanksgiving is a week earlier this year that I'll have enough time to do everything I want to do instead of feeling like Christmas snuck up on me.