Saturday 13 October 2007

The opposite of homeschooling

When Jaclyn was 4 years old I briefly considered homeschooling. Ken never considered it, it never would have happened, but I thought about it. This year I am doing the exact opposite of homeschooling - I am at the school all the time!
=
A few weeks ago one of the school secretaries called me up and asked me if I could come in and help the photographer out on school picture day. I said sure, no problem. Carmen wondered why would the school phone and ask me, and I told her it was because that secretary didn't want to phone 50 people before she got a yes. I'm not saying I was her first call, but she was looking for a sure thing.

I spent my school time this week on another all day outdoor field trip - with Steven, and in good weather.
;

.
We went to the Cross Conservation Area. I think the grasslands are breathtaking; I love the brown grass and the big blue sky.
4

We spent more time in the forested areas, though. Steven is studying trees and forests in science class right now.
7
7
The kids played a really fun game while we were out there that I want to remember just in case I'm ever a cub scout leader. They called it 'Camouflage' and it was exactly what it sounds like. All of the kids went and hid in the grass while the teacher turned her back, and then the teacher turned around and watched for movement or bright colors. If she could identify the kid she saw, she called out their name and they had to come out.
0

During the game it was my job to stand in the field as an outer perimeter of where the kids could hide. Steven came and hid right at my feet.

18 comments:

Amy said...

I'll have to remember that you're the kind of mom I want to be when my kids actually get to school.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

That picture is stunningly beautiful. I love the picture of the trees, too, and Steven hiding.

Hooray for moms that volunteer!

Marie said...

Steve - you are way too good looking.

Have I embarrassed you now?

Anonymous said...

Wow, your photos are stunning! That first one is seriously frame worthy. Some day it will be my season to live at school -- it's not here yet, but I'd like to be there more than I am able to right now.

Elizabeth said...

What happened to the year of Barb. :) Actually it sounds great. I am sure it is a nice balance of being at school with the kids and getting your alone time.

Jill said...

How funny to think of you doing the opposite of homeschooling. I can imagine how much time you spend at the school with 4 kids there. I feel like I'm there a lot and I've only got 2.

The pictures are beautiful.

carlo said...

wow== great pics.

you are so busy! how do you do it?

Anonymous said...

All of your field trips sound like so much fun, and they're always to the most beautiful places. I'm jealous.

Mandy said...

It's great that the school knows they can always count on you. I love your photos. They are beautiful!

Denise said...

Good for you, being someone they can count on. You're doing what I want to do; in two years my dd will be in kindergarten and I'll finally be able to volunteer!

That game does sound fun. I think my kids would love it. It's been three weeks since our lawn was mowed; another week or two and we'll be able to play it in our back yard, lol!

Barb said...

Amy, Kelly, Denise: I have always wanted/tried to be active in my kids' school, but it is so much easier now that my baby is in 1st grade. This is all part of the year of Barb because I used to find it so stressful to ask someone to watch my younger children so that I could go into school.

jenny said...

You are my hero. I volunteer from time to time, but I think it's great that your kids see so much of you and being involved!

I had no idea so many films were done there. Beautiful sight!

Sandi said...

Being free to go with your children on field trips is so great. They will remember that and all the time you give to them. It's a good thing and the photos are beautiful.

Price Cream Parlor said...

I am loving the photos you took! So awesome that you were the first YES so that no more calls needed to be made! YAHOO for great Moms like you that help in the school!

Michelle Alley said...

Wow, that picture with the clouds is absolutely gorgeous! Frameable even! That's great you got to go out with your kids on these field trips, I keep volunteering, but neither teacher has picked me. I guess they have more volunteers than they need. Great fun!

Anonymous said...

I love helping at the school! I have homeschooled before.AT this time I would rather go help at the school. Enjoyed the pictures.

michelle said...

Hooray for being the sure thing! That game does sound like a fun one for Scouts, although I hope never to need Scout ideas again...

annalisa said...

I could have written this post, or at least a similar one with the same headline. No camouflage game in first grade yet, but I am on a first-name basis with the staff at the school.