Friday 20 July 2007

Invention has a sister


Necessity is the mother of Invention . . . and Creativity. Somehow all three of them are related to Desperation, whom I've met more than once.

At the end of June, right in the thick of everything going on with the end of school, Carmen was invited to a birthday party for twin girls in her grade. I bought the webkinz gifts in advance, but they didn't get wrapped until 5 minutes before it was time to go out the door to pick up Carmen from school and take her straight to the party. I opened my under bed storage box where I keep wrapping supplies, stuffed the gift bags, grabbed a pen, but no! Not a gift tag left in the wrapping supplies, and no time to make up any tags. I just about ran out the door with the gifts unlabeled, ready to tell Carmen that she'd just have to identify which gifts were from her verbally, when I spotted some stray birthday balloons in the wrapping supplies. I wrote the to and from on the backs of the balloons and attached them to the gift bags and invented my favorite new gift wrapping accessory: Balloon gift tags.







The balloons may get tossed with all the other wrappings, but maybe there is some nice mom out there who doesn't throw things away and would let these balloons be blown up. The hand written message fades when the balloon expands, but it's still legible.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where on earth did you find that family tree? It's great. Cute gift tag idea.

annalisa said...

you are too cute.

Marie said...

If that is our family tree I am afraid that you covered both creativity and invention and left me with desparation!

Amy said...

OK, you're officially tied with Kristi in the creativity department. Holy cow, woman...I'd seriously like 5 minutes in your head!

Elizabeth said...

That is a great idea. You really are full of them. I am so glad you had the time to snap a photo.

Barb said...

Kelly: I just image google searched 'family tree' and then photoshopped in the names.
Elizabeth: I didn't snap a picture the first time I did this - there was seriously NO time - the pictures are from a gift I wrapped up today.

jenny said...

Genius!

Sandi said...

What a fantastic idea. I'm gonna remember that one.

Michelle Alley said...

Great idea, especially on the fly!

melanie said...

I love it! I always forget to buy cards and I am the one verbally telling which is from me! Stealing this one for sure!

sista # 2 said...

That is the cutest thing! I love balloons (we don't have a baby or a dog to choke on them!)and we give the helium ones to the kids after the party to take home(they always ask!)Your gift bag is so
cute, I had to say "Duh!" out loud - like why have I never done that!!hahaha Now I will ;)

The berry farm looks SOooo fun!!
I wish we could do that! But we get to pick lemons and oranges here in the winter ;) ciao

Jill said...

You're brilliant, what a fantastic idea!