Wednesday 18 July 2007

Divide and Conquer

Yesterday Jaclyn got a job babysitting one of Chloe's friends for the day, so she brought Chloe along - fun for Chloe, easier for Jaclyn. That left me with just 2 kids at home, which felt like a real opportunity for me to parent on a smaller scale. I spent a little bit of time with both Carmen and Steven going through their Faith in God booklets. Carmen set a goal in Living and Learning the Gospel to read the entire August issue of the Friend Magazine. Steven is done working on all the goals he can until after he turns 11 and can begin the last goal section of the booklet so he and I worked on memorizing The Articles of Faith. I showed Steven the scripture memorization tool on Jill's blog, and I think it will be a good help to finish off the memorizing requirement for the Faith in God Award.




Later in the afternoon the three of us headed out to The Saskatoon Farm. I've always been curious to check it out, and then I missed out on a chance to go there with some ladies in June which made me want to see it all the more.



I cracked up when I saw the sign at the entrance to the farm. Why would they want a berry farm to look like it's in the badlands?


We grabbed our buckets and started picking. Carmen gave a running monologue of her observations on the berries as she picked them.

Steven was a very picky picker. He wanted only the best, most juicy, and perfectly ripe berries possible.

Have you ever tasted a Saskatoon berry? They're just a little smaller and firmer than a blueberry and not quite as sweet.

But they turn your hands purple just like blueberries!

I now know that my arms aren't long enough for a 3 person self portrait. I kind of wish I'd caught Carmen's full facial expression on this one, though. The sunlight was distressingly bright.

Carmen and I did another SPT for just the 2 of us.


The kids were DONE at just a half a bucket, but luckily the farm only charged us half instead of making us pay for a full bucket. I think this is enough berries for a pie.


We headed in to the Saskatoon Saloon to find something to cool us off.



We totally scored with the Saskatoon ripple ice cream - it was as good as Carmen was trying to make it look.

10 comments:

Marie said...

fun berry picking. I can totally see Steven's point of view. Why bother picking the less than perfect ones when the dream berry is just on the next bush?

Anonymous said...

I had never ever heard of Saskatoon berries until visiting you last summer. We have not picked a single berry this summer, I need to get on that. Looks like a fun day with just your middles!

jenny said...

Browsing the blogs, I am wishing we had some fun places to pick things here. (well we probably do, but I have yet to search for them.) I have never heard of that type of berry. What a fun outing.

Anonymous said...

I like Kelly's reference to "your middles"! It's amazing how much extra time and space it seems you have when just one or two children are gone, doesn't it?

I've never heard of a Saskatoon berry, either. Are they a cold weather berry?

Anonymous said...

What a beautifully balanced day!

Amy said...

What a fun day with "the middles". As a middle, I say yay! I have fabulous memories of picking berries with my grandparents when we were young. Something I need to drive & do with my own some time.

Price Cream Parlor said...

Looks like a great time. I am impressed that you went over your Faith in God. Honestly, the thought hasn't crossed my mind all summer! Loved looking at this new berry. I have never heard of the Saskatoon Berry.
Did it make a great pie?

Lucy said...

Very quaint. Perfect outing with just two, too! I've never heard of that kind of berry either. But I love different kinds of berries. If it isn't so sweet, it'd probably make a great syrup. Like a chokecherry. Yummy.

Denise said...

You took your children to a SALOON? I am totally telling!

The ripple ice cream looks delish. I hope you got a bottle of sarsparilla to go with it!

Jill said...

I've never heard of Saskatoon berries before, that's a new one for me.

I did a double take when I read about the scripture memorization tool link from my blog...what? I had to click your link to see it, how funny is that?

I love the self-portaits!