Monday 4 June 2007

Every little thing he does is magic


I wish I'd been close enough to take this picture myself!


We did have really great seats, though. We were in the second section on the floor. The only down side to being in the expensive seats was that the crowd around us was just a little mellow for a rock concert - fans who are old enough to afford floor tickets.

There is really nothing like an outdoor summer concert! We had gorgeous weather - the thermometer in our truck said it was 32 celsius (89 F) when we pulled up to the stadium.


After The Police performed their first song, Sting called out to the audience, "The question is, Edmonton, can you still sing?" I thought that was hilarious, because of course that's what everyone asks about an old rocker: Can he still sing?

Oh, yeah!

The band improvised and played around with some calypso rythms a bit, which kept me guessing at the beginning of a number: Which song is this? But they didn't mess with a good thing too much. This concert was totally for me, but Ken was impressed with what rockers they turned out to be. According to Ken the only thing that could have made it better would have been a surprise performance by Eddie Murphy during 'Roxanne'. And hey, that might happen sometime during the tour.

I had not noticed in my years of listening all of the nonsense words in my favorite Police songs, but it turns out they make for spectacular sing-a-long songs for 30,000 people: De do do do, de da da da . . .

13 comments:

Ortensia Norton said...

AHHHHHH! SO FUN!! The crowd does seem pretty mellow though. So what time did he play and for how long?
Did you get any rain at all? We did.

Barb said...

RGLHM:

I'd say they went from about 8-11:30, but I wasn't really checking my watch. It just started to rain on us as we left the stadium, so we totally lucked out. As usual for me, we were travelling light. Just the camera phone - no umbrella.

Thanks for taking the kids that night!

Elizabeth said...

That sounds like so much fun. I haven't been to a concert in years. It's about time.

Anonymous said...

Perfect title! I'm so glad you had so much fun! I thought you had taken that first shot, and I was amazed! It's hard to get good pictures at a concert no matter how close you are.

I'm going to have "de do do do, de da da da" in my head all afternoon.

Marie said...

Looks like you had a great time. I love live concerts. Always so much fun, and how lucky to get a great weather day!

Lucy said...

So fun! I went to a sting concert either last year or the year before. Man, I am so old that even years don't seem long anymore!

Fun, fun, fun. Singing in my head, now!:)

Jill said...

I love outdoor concerts, but haven't been to one in a few years. I'm glad you had such great weather and such a fun night!

jenny said...

I am SOO jealous. What an awesome experience and from one of the King of music himself. Sounds like a heavenly experience weather and all!

Mandy said...

what a great concert that must have been! Cute picture of you guys!

Price Cream Parlor said...

Honestly, I think that STING gets better with age. Oh, la la!
This concert would have been a blast! Great post! I lived through you!

annalisa said...

I haven't been to a concert in years. I guess that makes me pretty old. Of course, I've only been to 3 concerts in my lifetime. What a fun time, even if you did have to sit around all those old people :).

carlo said...

Awesome! I haven't been to a summer outdoor concert since 2000(duran duran) but it was a lot of fun.

michelle said...

you've gotta love an outdoor summer concert!