Thursday 8 February 2007

Nightlights

When I was ready to decorate the room my youngest girls share, I was into Cecily Barker's flower fairies. At around this same time the little girls were a little bit afraid of the dark, and needed nice bright nightlights. This is what I came up with. I bought wall lamps from Ikea, and then attached flower fairy pictures printed on transparency sheets to the fronts of the lamps.

Not very long ago my brother called me up and asked me how I'd made the night lights because he wanted to make one for his little girl. When my jealous daughters found out I'd shared my secret design they wailed and whined, "We want to be the only girls in the world with these nightlights!" I noticed in my neice's birthday pictures she got a new nightlight as a gift from her dad so my girls are going to have to deal with it.

I actually wanted to make a light like this for my son's room, but he needs complete darkness to sleep, so a wall lamp with a NHL crest on it would go unused.

This difference between my kids who need light and the one who needs darkness to fall asleep causes problems when we travel to Grandma and Grandpa's house and all the kids are trying to fall asleep together in the family room in the basement. Next time we go down I'm going to bring a sleep mask for my boy and mini flashlights for my girls to see if I can make bedtime at Grandma's easier on everyone (including me).

5 comments:

Amy said...

I LOVE this idea...now I just need to gear up for an IKEA trip. It seriously zaps the life from me.

Thank you for stopping by to comment on my blog. I loved the quote that you shared. Kel is lucky to have you as *family*!

Mandy said...

The wall lamps you made are great! They are so cute!

That would be hard having children that need more or less light to fall asleep. I think the sleep mask and flashlights sound like a good compromise.

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful. I love how they give off such a soft light.

Nobody uses a night light these days, but Brynlee used to, and it was a nightmare trying to get her and Avery (a darkness girl) to sleep in the same room.

Ortensia Norton said...

We love our light and I'm sorry it caused such a stir:-) The light is actually too light for Camille... well it is too light for us. She can see TOO much and reads and plays for TOO long each night. She's slowly wearing down so hopefully it won't be an issue. You can tell your girls that even if you hadn't told them, we would have figured it out next time we were there.
I'm dying to see 'son' with his eye cover. He's going to love it.

annalisa said...

What a great idea. So cute. See I'd be going to 10 stores complaining that I can't find just what I was looking for and I would never consider making it myself.